Monday, December 5, 2011

The personalities of rescue, does this include my husband?

Today my husband Ron decided he wanted to write a blog post. He is, after all, the man behind the woman in rescue.

That got me thinking: The support that rescuers get from their significant others ... is it either black or white, hot or cold, or are their different shades mixed in there?  I think it's not clean cut - they love that you rescue or they hate it - I think there are different shades of smoky grey, muted calico and tiger stripes mixed in.



Many times I'm in this alone, making decisions that could make or break a rescue.  Do I push one more time for that cat that no one ever seems to want or do I move on to the next and hope I can help that one?  Many times I pushed and thankfully it worked, and when it did I would run out to the living room and tell Ron the entire story. My excitement was often met with a glazed-over look, either he didn't follow the "email to 'Facebook Share' to phone call saved this cat's life story" or he didn't care.  He's not a high-tech kind of guy; give him a car to work on and he's happy, give him a computer and he'll finish a short email, typed with two fingers, in about an hour.


When Ron asked if he could write something for this blog, I wanted to say HECK no, why would you want to write anything about rescue.  But he was so excited about it he wrote it up in minutes and faxed it to me.  Yep, he wrote it and faxed it to me.


How's that for proof he really wanted this posted ... not that you needed proof - I did.  When he asked this morning, I didn't think he'd follow through, but I was wrong.

So here's what he wrote as far as I can tell (did I mention his handwriting is not so great?):

Husband watching wife take care of kitties.

Very proud of what she does and probably don't tell her enough or show as much excitement as I should but a lot of blame to this is getting home from all the drama at work and trying to wind down. Always backed her in her many surprises when I came home and saw a new kitty. They all have their own personalities which makes it very interesting.  I try as a husband to treat them all equally but we all, as everyone knows, have favorites.  We just got a new male named Monkey and he reminds me of what I would be if I were a cat, always getting into trouble, and it's so funny when he's real bad which is all the time except when he's sleeping.  We occasionally give him a time out in the bathroom for five minutes with the door closed if he's really really bad to another cat.
My favorite cat is the one named Lilly Grace.  She has Cerebellar Hypoplasia and can't walk but makes up for it with her smile and head bobbing, she is so sweet.  But I have seen my wife rescue so many cats that she is my hero.  My only regret is the kitty litter job.  We have 3 areas with big boxes and they manage to fill them up pretty fast, but for the amount we have over all they are pretty good keeping the house in order. So to end this writing I lost my wife to the computer and her devotion to her work and she does an amazing job. Maybe I should tell her more often.

1 comment: