Friday, February 10, 2012

Is This Microphone On?


Sam
Seriously, can anyone hear me?  That's what I feel like sometimes.  I'm on stage, I'm talking away and I hear nothing from the audience except for some crickets chirping, maybe someone's cell phone just rang, a few throats being cleared and that's it, a silence that is louder than my voice.  Of course I'm not really on stage, I'm not giving a lecture or telling some fascinating story to an audience. I'm just here; working to try to make a difference for diabetic cats and their people.

Am I making a difference?   Any difference?

Charlie
This was a hard week for DCIN.  We lost two beautiful souls.  Sweet sweet Sam who faced unknown challenges in his short life. The broken legs, the diabetes and who knows what else, but he didn't let them stop him from loving his foster family for the short time he was there.  We also lost dear handsome Charlie, let down by his previous family, loved by the vet tech who saved him.  She couldn't keep him but she did everything she could to help him, even paying for his boarding.

I sit here today feeling sorry for myself. I didn't sleep at all last night, partly from the stress of all of this, partly from some of my own health issues that now need dealing with.  It's during times like this that I wonder why? Why keep doing this; can anyone really hear me? Has anything changed? Will anything change?

The answer is yes, someone has heard and things are changing.

While we lost two this week, we gained a few that will be coming under the financial assistance part of our program. I think there are four new members to DCIN in the past few days.  The best part is two of these new DCIN family members are men.  I don't know why that makes me smile.  I guess because I usually think of men as being dog lovers, not cat lovers. Except for Ron - he loves our cats very much.

Questioning myself and wonder where this road is going will probably be an ongoing issue. Finding the answer each time by falling back on our amazing DCIN family, friends and fans - that will be the key and I hope to always be able to draw strength from that and to be able to see the path ahead, even with its twists and turns. My plan is to continue on this path and have faith.

1 comment:

  1. This has been hard for certain. I didn't actually get to meet Sam, but it was me that put the whole Sam rescue in motion more than three weeks ago. I don't rescue because I want great stories or to pat myself on the back - I rescue because every living thing deserves hope. I've been fortunate that the majority of my rescue efforts have really paid off - for the cats, and for the families and people whose lives the cats enrich. I'm having a hard time with this one. Sam's story was supposed to be successful - all the parts were there: the rescue, and the fact that his foster mom fell in love with him. I've struggled all day over this. Sometimes, rescuers really DO need to take an emotional break, to regroup, to recharge so that they can fight on. That's how I'm feeling.

    I am so glad you've got some new folks to the financial assistance program. Is one the gentleman with the pretty 17 year old orange tabby who couldn't afford the medicine?

    ReplyDelete