Monday, March 12, 2012

In sickness and in health???

Fluffy
There should be a clause on all adoption contracts, as well as for those animals purchased through stores or from breeders. It should be similar to a marriage clause. Do you promise to love and cherish ... even in sickness? Many adoption contracts I've seen ask how much would you be willing to spend if your pet got sick. The best answer - "whatever it takes."

But a sick cat is more than just a price tag. Maybe the question should be "would you be willing to treat your pet if they get sick even if that means administering medication daily and devoting more time to ensure your pet's well being?" I wonder if there would be so many surrendered diabetic kitties if people knew in advance that yes, some cats do get sick and not the type of sick where you can drop Fluffy off at the vet and pick him up when he's all better. Here's a lollipop, a bandage and a bill for my time.



Often people think "Why devote the time when there is newer (i.e. better) right around the corner"? We're a disposable society. When belongings age or when newer versions become available, we simply replace them. And often pets are seen as disposable as your cellphone or laptop or pair of jeans. The average Joe considers cats maintenance-free, and the moment that changes, they get rid of them and find the next cute little kitten to lavish attention on (and probably ignore as they get older).

And that's where we come in. Sort of like trash collectors, where one person's garbage is our treasure. But when we are contacted, do people honestly admit their shortcomings while asking you to clean up after them? No. It's always some excuse. My favorite is probably "I'm suddenly allergic to cats," when a person has had Fluffy as a pet for twelve years, the cat is diagnosed with diabetes, and simultaneously and inexplicably, the owner realizes they are allergic to cats. Thus the surrender is not their fault, but a medical necessity. They're heartbroken to give up the pet, they wouldn't if there were any other way, etc.

Each time, I want to say "Don't lie to me." These people come to me for help, and regardless of whether I agree with their reasoning, I'm going to help. If they're worried about being judged, they need to get over it. (Of course I'm judging them!) If people want my help, they should be forthright, respect the time and effort I extend, and certainly not berate or belittle my devotion to diabetic cats. Trying to mislead me to assuage your guilt only wastes my time while I am trying to help.

If a loved one got sick, would you leave them? Well, most of you who are reading this post are wonderful friends of DCIN and the answer is no, you wouldn't. But we all know "animal lovers" who wouldn't make the sacrifices you or I wouldn't think twice about.

So that's my rant for the week. We've all been there, so I'm sure you understand my need to vent. Thanks for always being my shoulder to cry on.

1 comment:

  1. ABSOLUTELY! I've had cold feet several times with marriage....but I keep my kitties for life! My oldest is 15 and a diabetic AND a hyperthyroid kitty!

    And you're right...I wish everyone else felt the same way about their kitties....

    ReplyDelete