Thursday, March 1, 2012

Not all heroes get the glory

Last night, very quietly and without a lot of fanfare, a hero in my life passed away. She was someone whom I'd always hoped I could be more like. She was the nicest person I've known, a woman who always saw only the good in people, never the bad. She was smart as a whip, a world traveler, a photographer, a quilter, a lover of tennis, an avid reader who worked in publishing long before it was the norm to have women in roles like that. She was a loyal and devoted wife, even after her soul mate passed away. No one in her family or her large circle of friends ever found fault in her. Neighbors weren't neighbors, they were family and they were loved. She looked upon strangers as friends she hadn't made yet. She was also a conversationalist, if someone can actually be called that. Anyone could sit and talk with her for hours and never be bored. The stories she had to share and the way she listened to everything that was spoken, you could get wrapped up in that for hours.
Me, my Aunt and Topsy - one of many kitty parties

She grew up in Rochester, then forged her career and married life in New York City, with a weekend respite in the country. After retirement she and my uncle made the country home their full-time residence. I can recall so much about the beauty of that home, walking along the dirt road, marveling at the fact that the post office was also the general store and gas station for the town. I remember going to the festivals with her and how much interest she took in everything there. Nothing was too small to catch her eye, no person not interesting enough to spend time talking with. Everyone in town who knew her adored her. She touched more lives than she could possibly know, simply in her immediate warmth and acceptance of all she met.


And of course, she loved animals. Even in her dying days in a nursing home hospital, her memory failing, she spoke of the animals she had loved. The memories of people and events were hazy for her, slipping in and out of clarity, but she never forgot her beloved pets. Just as I will never forget her.


I consider her one of the inspirations of my volunteer work. She made me want to reach out and help others, just as she had touched so many. We have probably all known special people in our lives and have been inspired by them. I wanted to share with you mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment