Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mikey says...


A very special letter from DCIN's FUNraising Spokescat Mikey.

Six months ago I was traveling in a car away from the one person I ever knew and called "Mom" and my future with her that included traveling back and forth between apartments in her car. We had many good times and some not so good times as you would expect in the nine years you are with someone. When my diabetes fell upon me, my future seemed to be bleak with time running short. I pretty much accepted this was it for me until a kind stranger came upon a posting on Facebook about a cat in need of an immediate loving home. The response was quick and before I knew it I was put into a temporary foster home. The transition was scary at first and not just for me but for my new foster family also. This new family which included fifteen other furry family members from all paws of life. I wasn't thrilled with the new digs but I gave it a chance to grow on my fur.

Thank you for my new home!!

The first few weeks was a learning experience for both me and my new humans. I made the best of my new life and found a spot to rest on a towel on the tile floor. It was tough to get much rest because this was the only bathroom of this one bedroom apartment. Each day and night that went by I was cared for and these kind strangers who tested me trying hard to keep me healthy.  BOY was it a learning process for all of us. A few pricks and shots here and there were OK but when winter came the testing became a challenge and the frustration started to set in for me and my new foster caregivers. Lucky for them I have no front claws but my teeth became a nice substitute.  All wasn't so bad and outside of the round the clock glucose testing the new location started to become home for me.

I quickly made new friends, especially with Skye.  She's a firecracker of a kitty.  She's fun, playful, and very beautiful. Skye was my first girlfriend for a little bit but we broke up due to her obsession with her iPad and iPad Apps. It's tough being the old man of this group and I am behind the times. I threw my paws up to technology long ago and I'd rather spend my time with my new humans traveling on the road. In the six months I have been here I have visited other DCIN-assisted cats to show how to care for cats with diabetes.  I also visited a retirement home and made some amazing people smile as I showed up in my new cat stroller (complete with leopard print). I have even gone shopping to an outlet center, made a video, and officially have become the FUNraising Spokescat for DCIN.  This is the most I have ever lived and the best part is that it started when two strangers came and rescued me. I have been hoping to stay here because I love my new family.

I have gone from being a single cat in a single cat home to becoming a part of this family along with my 15 brothers and sisters. So, anyone who says an old cat like me will never adapt to a home with other cats should read my lips. I couldn't be any happier. I love most of my new brothers and sisters and outside of a few minor scraps with the younger rambunctious ones, I have a ton of areas to play, relax and sleep. How different things have become in the last six months. I went from being standoffish, hiding in a bathroom on insulin and a scaredy cat to being young at heart, off the juice, and now the only hiding I do is when dry food is given out and I want a taste. Sometimes I get a bite but I ALWAYS get caught! The alternative isn't so bad. A can of wet food with a sprinkle of REAL Parmesan cheese!  YUMMY! Now that I'm off of insulin and enjoying my retirement here with my new family and all I can say is that I want to stay.

I've already created amazing memories here and I think with all the memorable moments I have made here, no matter what the challenge was for us, that I will be adopted so I can really call this apartment home. I think this is actually happening because I caught one of my humans typing up an document and on the top it said "Adoption Application." I don't know who to thank for this new life I was granted but while I do have this new chance at life, I will do everything I can to make sure other cats like me know they are not alone. I know how scary the world can be when the one home you thought you had is taken from you without any rhyme or reason.

Oh, did I tell you my human's names? It's no secret. Jennifer and Marc, no matter how much I may fuss over my food, no matter how long I keep you awake with my loud snoring, and no matter how smelly my cheesy poops may be, I love you both and thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me into your home and for making me feel needed again. Without you both I wouldn't be here and now I can lay my head down knowing that I am finally home.

MIKEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment