Monday, May 21, 2012

The Joy of Se.... no not that... Senior kitty adoptions!

I've been an advocate of adopting senior kitties for a long time. I learned that joy from my sister and from my soul mate kitty Tucker. My little man was about 13 when I adopted him.  After Tucker, we were lucky enough to adopt 16-year-old Henry, and later 13-year-old Mr. Darcy, and so many more.

Of course it's not all glitz and glamour. There's the ever-present knowledge that I don't have a long time with these sweet kitties, but one thing I do have is the chance to give happiness. No matter how brief, these loving souls can revel in the love and security of a home, not disappear behind some cold cage somewhere alone and frightened.

I'm especially reminded of this today because of Buddy, a beautiful siamese kitty that went into a loving foster home before moving in with his new furrever family.  Today I got to see amazing pictures posted on DCIN's Facebook page and I got to bask, albeit from a distance, in the light of this love and know that Buddy is very soon going to realize that he is home, he is safe, he is loved.

It's going to be a while before I can adopt another kitty, but someday I will adopt again, and when I do, I will bring home another senior.  While there is a lot to be said for adopting kittens and young cats - enjoying watching them grow, see their personalities develop, laugh at the wonkiness of feline youth - their trust in you is automatic. They know no better than to love you. But what about those cats whose innocent kittenhoods are long lost memories? The ones who truly know the value of home and family and security, having experienced the loss of their own. That's what you give back when you adopt a senior kitty. And what do you get in return (besides an awesome cat)? You get the "moment", that one special moment that can never be imagined until you experience it.  

There's one moment when your new kitty looks into your eyes and you see it - things have changed. Suddenly, new kitty has lost his or her fears and reservations, and understands that this is their home. New kitty's eyes are seemingly different, almost like there's a smile in place of that initial fear.  New kitty has decided to love you.

We don't ever truly know what our new kitty's past was. For some, it could have been a beautiful loving home that was lost for some reason; for others, there may have been some mistreatment; and still others may have been ignored for years.  But when new kitty looks at you with that new look, your heart will suddenly fill and for just a moment, nothing else matters.  

So I may get my heart broken more often than others, but I can honestly say that I get my heart healed more often too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. At the shelter where I volunteer, the seniors wait a long time for homes...sometimes they pass away before they get one, but its such a joy when they do get adopted :)

    ReplyDelete