Saturday, August 25, 2012

An interview with a former shelter diabetic kitty

This has been one of the strangest months for DCIN.  We have been inundated with shelter 911 diabetic kitties.  We call the emergency cases 911 kitties.  The ones that need out immediately or risk the possibility of euthanasia.
From DCIN's home page, missing from this is a beautiful grey kitty that will be added from RI.
I decided to have a talk with a very special former shelter kitty, his name is Sweet Potato and here's a transcript of our interview.

Me:  Sweet Potato, do you have a few minutes to talk about life behind bars versus life now?

Sweet Potato (SP):  Life behind bars?  I'm not sure what you mean, check this place out, I have beds everywhere, brothers and sisters and I have you Mommy.

Me:  Sweets, don't call me Mommy, we're supposed to be professional about this.

SP:  Okay, Mom, how's that?

Me: Whatever.  Listen, can you tell the folks who are reading this what former shelter cats are like after a short time in their new forever homes?
Let's talk about me now, how handsome
and wonderful I am. 
 
SP:  Sure, we are awesome, cool, amazing, fantastic, lovable... how's that?  Can I have a nom-nom now?

Me:  Sweets that's not really helpful.  Do you remember that you had a home once and then through no fault of your own, you were suddenly homeless and living in a shelter?  That all the love you gave in your former life, that it just didn't matter to them?  Do you remember the shelter folks wanted to help you but they couldn't so they put you in a foster home?  But that foster home wasn't permanent?  Do you remember that?

SP:  I remember everything, but I chose to move past that.  Let's talk about me now, how handsome and wonderful I am.  How I make you laugh and how you love to give me hugs so much... and nom-noms, you love to give me nom-noms right now. 

Me:  True, you do crack me up, especially when you attack the shower curtain.

SP:  Hey! I'm protecting you from that shower curtain.

Me:  Umm... okay, thank you for protecting me.  Can we move on now? [SP nods his approval]  Thank you, so moving on, what do you think people should know about adopting a shelter cat that needs out immediately?  

Sweet Potato made headlines after his adoption
SP:  I'd say there's nothing better.  Seriously, have you seen me?  *giggles*  Really, look around Mom; Ebony, Kiki, Bean, Fred, they are all from shelters.  You didn't know any of us before we came here but look, we are awesome, right?  Admit it, you know we are.

Me:  Sweets, this is not about your awesomeness.  Well, I guess maybe it is.  So you're saying that if people take a chance and pull one of these emergency 911 shelter cats DCIN have posted this week, they may end up with a really awesome sweet kitty?

SP:  All cats are awesome, it's just our nature, so of course if they adopted one that cat would be awesome.

Well, you heard it hear, straight from the horses..err... cat's mouth.  Adopting a shelter 911 kitty means you'd get an awesome cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment